Thursday, February 11, 2010

Print -- will it live on

I have been hearing about the death of print since I started library school in 2005. Last I checked it’s still alive and well. There are new forays of attack against print materials however. Tuesday I saw a woman exercising at the local Y while reading a book on a kindle. Yesterday I read a Feb. 2, 2010 article from the Wall Street Journal about using Apple iPad in classrooms instead of textbooks. Reference was also made to competition for this market from netbooks. So why do need print?
I firmly believe in print. I still think a book can go places and do things that electronic sources can’t, such as in a bubble bath with me. I also find genuine print a lot easier on the eyes. While I can’t argue with the search features of eBooks or the convenience of electronic databases we still need print. I am not going to be teaching my grandchildren to recognize and imitate animal sounds from a kindle.

Wall Street Journal Feb 2, 2010
Textbook Firms Ink E-Deals For iPad
By JEFFREY A. TRACHTENBERG And YUKARI IWATANI KANE
—Paul Sonne contributed to this article.
Copyright 2009 Dow Jones & Company, Inc. All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment